If you are planning a trip to Laos, the first thing comes into your mind is how to apply Laos Visa. Visa to Laos can be easily applied at the arrival airport or via online. Per the policy for visa to Laos, the visa fee depends on which passport you are holding. For more information, please contact one of our Travel Consultants for instant support and worthy travel advisory.
Laos Visa On Arrival
Visitors could apply Laos Visa On Arrival at the arrival international airport in Vientiane & Luang Prabang.
Visa Form is available at the Counter of Immigration right on arrival gate. You need to fill in and get Visa.
The lines for visa are not too long, but if you fill the Visa Form in advance, you don’t have to wait too long at the last of the line.
Download Laos VISA FORM is available here.
Laos Visa is easy to obtain on arrival at all port of entry including the most popular international airports.
Obtain Laos Visa on arrival at popular international airports:
• Wattay International Airport in Vientiane Capital.
• Luang Prabang International Airport in Luang Prabang Province.
• Pakse Internatioanl Airport in Champasak Province.
Obtain Laos Visa on arrival at Border Checkpoints:
China – Laos Border gate:
• Mohan – Botene , Yunnan to Luang Namtha Province.
Thailand – Laos Border gate:
• Chiangkhong – Houixay, Chiang Rai to Bokeo Province.
• Nakaxeng – Kaenthao, Loei to Sayabouly Province.
• Lao-Thai Friendship Bridge I, Nongkhay-Vientiane Capital.
• Lao-Thai Friendship Bridge II, Moukdahan-Savannakhet Province.
• Lao-Thai Friendship Bridge III, Nakorn Phanom-Khammouane Province.
• Chongmek – Vangtao, Ubol Ratchathani to Champasak Province.
Vietnam – Laos Border gate:
• Nameo – Banleui, Thanh Hoa to Huaphanh Province.
• Lao Bao – Dansavanh, Quang Tri to Savannakhet Province.
Cambodia – Laos Border gate:
• Dong Calor – Veun Kham, Cambodia to Champasak Province.
You may also like:
Who can get Laos Visa on Arrival?
Everyone except for citizens of the countries list under “Who cannot get Lao Visa on Arrival” below
Who Can’t get Laos Visa on Arrival?
Travelers holding passports from the following countries are not eligible for Laos visas on arrival: Afghanistan, Algeria, Bangladesh, Burundi, Cameroon, Congo, Cote d’Ivoire, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea Bissau, Jordan, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya (Libyan Arab Jamahiriya), Mozambique, Nauru, Niger, Nigeria, Pakistan, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Suriname, Syria (Syrian Arab republic), Swaziland, Tonga, Turkey, Zambia, Zimbabwe.
According to notice No. 1232 issued on 1 October 2009, by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Lao PDR, nationals on the list above must obtain their visas at Lao Embassies or Lao Consulates abroad before entering Laos. However, there is an exception for those nationals who are on official visits and holding a guarantee from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Lao PDR.
Laos Visa Requirements:
– Your original passport with at least 6 months of remaining validity and a blank page for a visa sticker.
– A Visa Application Form, filled out and signed by the applicant (available at visa window at Lao ports of entry or given before landing if you are arriving by plane).
– Two (2) recent passport-type photographs (If you are unprepared (cannot provide the photo) there will be an extra fee (few dollars) for scanning your photograph from your passport, and placing it onto your visa application form).
– Visa fee (in cash).
The cost of Laos Visa depends on which passport you are holding. The price list is on display at the visa counter. If you are citizen of USA, UK or European citizen, the fee is 35 USD, Canadian: 42 USD, Sweden: 31 USD.
Australia and other countries is 30 USD.
Get a Laos Visa at Laos Embassy
There are several types of visas available for visiting Laos and you will need to apply in your country of origin or residence. The Lao Embassy in your country provides information about visa services and helps people who need to travel to Laos for business, tourism or for any other purpose.
According to notice No. 1232 issued on 1 October 2009, by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Lao PDR, nationals on the list of those Who Can’t Get Laos Visa On Arrival need to obtain their visas at Lao Embassies or Lao Consulates abroad before entering Laos. The visa fee and processing time vary depending on the nationality of applicant.
However, there is an exception for those nationals who are on official visits and holding a guarantee from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Lao PDR.
For traveling via border crossings, obtaining a pre-visa before trip will also work well as it is save much time at the immigration costumes. For other border checkpoints that don’t issue Visa On Arrival, a pre-visa is a must before traveling. Visitors are advised to recheck the information for Visa On Arrival, especially at border gates for smooth trip.
Here are the List of Embassies and Consulates of Laos around the world:
|Embassy of Lao PDR in Vienna
|Embassy of Lao PDR in Canberra
|Embassy of Lao PDR in Brussels
|Embassy of Lao PDR in Bandar Seri Begawan
|Embassy of Lao PDR in Phnom Penh
Consulate of Lao PDR in Stung Treng
|Embassy of Lao PDR in Beijing
Consulate Generals of Lao PDR in Kunming, Changsha, Guangzhou, Hong Kong, Nanning, Shanghai
Branch Office of Lao PDR in Jinghong
|Embassy of Lao PDR in Havana
|Embassy of Lao PDR in Paris
|Embassy of Lao PDR in Berlin
|Embassy of Lao PDR in New Delhi
|Embassy of Lao PDR in Jakarta
|Embassy of Lao PDR in Tokyo
Honorary Consulate of Lao PDR in Nagoya
|Embassy of Lao PDR in Kuwait City
|Embassy of Lao PDR in Kuala Lumpur
|Embassy of Lao PDR in Ulan Bator
|Embassy of Lao PDR in Yangon
|Embassy of Lao PDR in Pyongyang
|Embassy of Lao PDR in Manila
|Embassy of Lao PDR in Warsaw
|Embassy of Lao PDR in Moscow
|Embassy of Lao PDR in Singapore
|Embassy of Lao PDR in Seoul
|Embassy of Lao PDR in Stockholm
|Permanent Mission of Lao PDR to the United Nations in Geneva
|Embassy of Lao PDR in Bangkok
Consulate of Lao PDR in Khon Kaen
|Embassy of Lao PDR in London
|United States of America
|Embassy of Lao PDR in Washington DC
Permanent Mission of Lao PDR to the United Nations in New York
|Embassy of Lao PDR in Hanoi
Consulate General of Lao PDR in Ho Chi Minh City
Consulate General of Lao PDR in Danang
For US Citizens
You can get your Laos visa from the embassy of Laos in the USA. If you plan to travel to Laos and you want to get Laos Visa, you should apply for one at Lao Embassy. The most convenient way to get a Laos visa is to get it at the laos embassy. The one in Washington, D.C. is the closest one. You can also get a visa on arrival at the airport in Vientiane, the capital of Laos.
Here is address of Laos Embassy in USA:
Laotian Embassy in Washington, D.C., United States
- Address: 2222 S Street N.W.
Washington, D.C. 20008
- Telephone: (+1) 202 332 6416
- Fax: (+1) 202 332 4923
- Email: email@example.com
- Website: laoembassy.com
- Office hours: By appointment
- Head of mission: Mai Sayavongs, Ambassador
- Consular services:
- Address: 2222 S Street N.W.
Note: On weekends, Lao public holidays, before 8 A.M and after 4 P.M weekdays, there is a $1 over time fee. In addition an entry fee (2,500 Kip or so) may be charged.
* All visa’s fee are payable in cash only (US dollars or Thai baht). For further information, please contact a Travel Consultant.
Laos Electronic Visa (E-Visa)
Although the Visa On Arrival at the borders give more flexibility in making travel arrangements as visitors do not need to plan their visa ahead, it may occur long lines at the port of entry and travelers must carry with them all the relevant documentation and money to cover the visa on spot. Therefore, the Laos (E-Visa) eliminates the need for this complicated application process upon arrival.
By applying online, you can submit all the required documents and information and pay the visa fees from your home or office. In additional, you can use eVisa special lane at arrival port to avoid standing in the long queue at the Visa on Arrival lane.
From July 2019, the Laos government has officially launched The E-Visa Laos which is an electronic travel authorization, allowing citizens from 162 eligible countries (list at https://laoevisa.gov.la) who can apply online (non-refund).
Lao eVisa can be used to enter 5 international ports:
- Wattay International Airport (Vientiane)
- Lao-Thai Friendship Bridge I (Vientiane)
- Luang Prabang International Airport (Luang Prabang)
- Lao-Thai Friendship Bridge II (Savannakhet)
- Pakse International Airport (Champasak)
There are 3 simple steps to apply at https://laoevisa.gov.la as following:
- Fill the application form;
- Pay your fees with secured payment method (visa fee vary depending on the holder’s nationality);
- Download the eVisa approval from your email
Important notes for E-Visa Laos
- An eVisa is processed within 03 working days (*) after receiving the completed application and full eVisa fee. You will get the reference number which can be used to check on your visa status;
(*) Please note that your application will be proceeded in the same day if you apply in the morning session. If you apply in the afternoon session, then your application will be proceeded in the next day of the Lao local time (GMT+7).
- An eVisa is valid for maximum of 60 days after receiving the Approval Letter with the Stay Permit of eVisa is 30 days;
- E-Visa is applied for Tourist Visa, Single Entry only; and this is non-refund visa after processing;
- When your eVisa application is approved, an Approval Letter will be sent to your email address that you informed at the time of registration. The E-Visa can be printed in black and white as long as it is legible to the Immigration Officer, especially the QR Code. One copy is enough to present to the Immigration Officer;
- Applicants are responsible for the correctness of all information submitted during the application process. You cannot modify anything after submitting the documents. If the information on your E-visa is not correct or E-visa application is rejected, you need to reapply using the Online service and re-pay the visa as original. Otherwise, please contact through email firstname.lastname@example.org for more details.
Laos Visa Extension
If the unexpected occurs and your plan change or you simply wish to stay longer in Laos, it is possible for you to extend your visa at the immigration office in Vientiane (*), which costs 20,000kip (round US$2,50) per day in case you apply before or on its expiry date. However, if you do it after your visa expires, you will be fined for US$10 per day for the days you over stayed.
(*) Vientiane’s Immigration Office is on Lane Xang Avenue. Opening hours: 8:00-16:00 (closed at lunchtime from 12.00pm – 1.00pm) from Monday to Friday, but closed for applications on Friday afternoon.
There are also visa extension offices in Luang Prabang, Savannakhet and Pakse.
Requirements for Visa Extension
- Your original valid passport;
- One passport sized photo.
- Visa extension fee.
This process is straight forward, so just fill out the application form then submit together with your passport, photo and pay the fees. If no increasing issue, your visa can be ready the same day. This option could work well if you only plan to stay for a few more days.
You can do it on your own or via travel agent or specialist provider to do your Lao visa extension for you. If due to any reason that you could not make the visa extension for a few more days extra at the immigration office, you might just stay as long as you prepare to pay the fine (US$10 per day) which will be collected on your departure.
For more information that you still concern about Laos Visa, please feel absolutely free to contact one of our Travel Consultants for instant support and worthy travel advisory.